Legally Speaking with Attorney Barney Almazar

Dubai-based lawyer Barney Almazar answers the most common questions regarding your legal options in various cases related to living and working in the UAE.



If the grace period (following the visa cancellation) has lapsed, can I just pay the overstay fine while waiting for my new visa?

You can pay the overstay fine as long as your previous sponsor has not yet filed an absconding case against you. Your sponsor has the right to report you as an absconder if you failed to leave the country or get a new visa after the lapse of your grace period following cancellation. Even if you are willing to pay your overstay fine, the Immigration office will still require you to clear your absconding case.


Do you have a question for Attorney Barney? Contact him at [email protected] or know more about him here.


ADVERTISE HERE Find or post new jobs, motor ads and classifieds

Explore Expat Media