Filipino expatriates receive Dh730 at POLO Dubai on June 8, 2020.
PHOTO BY SUPPLIED
DUBAI – More Filipinos in the UAE received Dh730 on Monday (June 8) as an official from the Philippine Overseas Labor Office in Dubai and Northern Emirates (POLO Dubai) revealed that the total funding allocated for the cash assistance program covers 17,000 Filipinos in Dubai and the northern emirates.
“Yes, the fund allocated is for 17,000 OFWs (Overseas Filipino Workers) only,” Labor Attache Felicitas Bay, who heads POLO Dubai, told Expatmedia.net.
The one-time financial assistance, also known as DOLE-AKAP, provides cash assistance of $200 (Dh730) for OFWs who lost their jobs or were placed on no work to pay scheme due to the Covid-19 crisis. The program was launched by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) on April 8.
In Dubai, Bay told Expatmedia.net that POLO Dubai has received a total of 83,341 applications, out of which 28,940 applications have been evaluated and 11,381 applications were approved as of 4pm on Sunday (June 7).
Since the programme was launched, 8,105 Filipinos in Dubai and Northern Emirates have received cash assistance, said Bay.
Dubai-based OFW Margie Suarez was one of the beneficiaries who took to social media to express her gratitude at receiving cash aid. Suarez showed an email from POLO Dubai instructing her to claim the money at the POLO Dubai office on Monday.
The Filipina urged her compatriots to be patient and persistent in waiting for the result of their application for cash assistance.
Neil Pastoril Tabujara also received cash aid this week after applying for assistance on April 20. Tabujara, who posted his update on social media, fielded comments from Filipinos who said they have yet to get an update on the status of their cash aid application.
His advice to Filipinos in the UAE? “Be patient,” he said.
Tabujara, who has been living in Dubai since 2012, told Expatmedia.net that he applied for cash aid after the pastry shop where he works as store in charge put him on a no work, no pay scheme.
“I applied for cash assistance because my company said ‘No work, No pay’ and I’m thinking about my house rent, and money to send to the Philippines,” he told Expatmedia.net.
Tabujara plans to send the money to the Philippines “and keep a small amount for myself”. ICA/Expat Media
DOLE AKAP Assistance for OFWs in Dubai and Northern Emirates
As of June 7, 2020
Total applications received: 83,341
Total evaluated: 28,940
Total approved: 11,381
Total paid out: 8,105
Filipinos in the UAE who lost their jobs or “have experienced job displacement” due to the coronavirus pandemic will be getting a one-time cash assistance of Dh730 ($200) from the Philippine government. Filipinos on no work, no pay scheme will also be entitled to cash assistance.
Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) Secretary Silvestre Bello III said the cash assistance program is available to registered OFWs, as well as undocumented Filipinos who have taken steps to regularizing their status or are active members of the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA).
OFWs in Bahrain, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Qatar and Saudi Arabia, and those in Europe, America and Asia may also avail of cash assistance.
According to POLO officials in Dubai, OFWs who lost their employment or have experienced job displacement due to Covid-19 can get financial assistance. They must also be OFWs who did not receive financial support/assistance from employers. Filipinos on no work, no pay scheme will also be entitled to cash assistance.
– Regular/documented OFWs with valid passport and appropriate visa or permit to work in UAE
– Regular/documented OFWs with employment contract processed by POEA or POLO
– Documented workers who have lost their regular or documented status
– Undocumented OFWs who are not registered with POEA or whose contracts were not processed by POEA or POLO but have undertaken actions to regularize their contracts or status
– Undocumented OFWs who are not registered with POEA or whose contracts were not processed by POEA or POLO, but are active OWWA members at the time of availment.
– Workers who remain to be unemployed at the time of availment of financial assistance
– Workers under “no work, no pay” arrangement
– Workers who are unable to work and receive salary due to Covid-19 infection
Applicants with residence visa in Dubai, Sharjah, Ajman, Fujairah, Ras Al Khaimah and Umm Al Quwain can contact POLO Dubai for assistance. For Filipinos based in Al Ain and Abu Dhabi, contact POLO in Abu Dhabi or the Philippine Embassy.
You can also download the form here
2. Fill in the form.
3. For applicants from Dubai and Northern Emirates: Submit accomplished form through www.polodubaiportal.org/dole-akap-for-ofws-in-dubai-and-northern-emirates or click here (you must be logged on to your Google account to access)
For applicants from Abu Dhabi and Al Ain: Submit the accomplished form here
4. Upload the following supporting documents:
– Copy of valid passport with employment visa
– Any proof of employment (upload only one proof): Verified employment contract, OEC, valid OWWA membership, Emirates ID, Residence Visa or Re-Entry Visa
– Proof of loss of employment/loss of salary/no work no pay scheme due to Covid-19
– For those with legal case: proof of a pending case that has caused their current “undocumented status, such as case reference number, case endorsement stamped by the POLO, etc”.
5. Upon receiving complete requirements, POLO shall evaluate the documents and notify the worker through email of the approval or disapproval of the application.
6. POLO shall advise applicant on where to claim Dh730.
You can contact the agency through the following:
Email: [email protected]
OFWs who are currently in the Philippines may also avail of cash assistance by submitting their application and supporting documents to their respective regional or local OWWA offices:
– Accomplished application form for special cash assistance downloadable at www.dole-akap.owwa.gov.ph
– Copy of passport or travel documents
– Proof of overseas employment, such as valid OEC, residence ID, visa/re-entry visa, etc
– Proof of loss of employment/loss of salary/no work no pay scheme due to the Covid-19 disease
Filipinos in UAE warned against selling, distributing cooked food without permit
Sharjah Deputy Ruler dies, 3-day mourning period declared
Dubai’s most beautiful Metro station unveiled on Route 2020
Emirates lays off more pilots, cabin crew
No fine for wearing cloth mask in UAE but people still sharing fake news video
Dubai money exchange teller on trial over Dh642,000 theft
How Filipina expat in UAE survived salary cuts in 2009 and 2020
2 killed in Dubai as garbage truck crashes into bus
Guide on audit assertions for UAE businesses
Dubai tourism chief on how UAE is welcoming back tourists
Etihad Airways to resume flights to and from Manila, Islamabad and 56 other cities in next 2 months