Image

Customs officials inspect balikbayan boxes at a warehouse in the Philippines.

PHOTO BY BUREAU OF CUSTOMS


Philippines releases abandoned balikbayan boxes from Dubai-based cargo company

The Philippines’ Bureau of Customs (BOC) is expediting the release of hundreds of balikbayan boxes abandoned by a Dubai-based cargo company and Philippine-based Cargoflex Haulers Corporation.

Customs Commissioner Yogi Filemon Ruiz said on Tuesday (August 16) that the delivery of the balikbayan boxes for Luzon is expected to be completed by the end of August, while boxes for Visayas and Mindanao are targeted for release until mid-September.

ALSO READ: Abandoned balikbayan boxes of 200 Filipinos in UAE to be auctioned off

According to the BOC, there are seven containers with around 1,800 to 2,000 balikbayan boxes abandoned by one of the cargo companies.

The boxes were inspected by the Door-to-Door Consolidators Association of the Philippines (DDCAP) last month and approved for release. “The BOC initiated this move to help our OFWs,” Ruiz said.

He said an additional 27 containers of abandoned balikbayan boxes will be auctioned off to the DDCAP and sent to consignees.

Meanwhile, the BOC chief said he is looking to create a Balikbayan Box Assistance Unit that will monitor the fast release and delivery of OFW balikbayan boxes, while also serving as a communications hub of consignees. ICA/Expat Media


For all the latest news from the UAE and the world, follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube page

Share


ADVERTISE HERE Find or post new jobs, motor ads and classifieds

Explore Expat Media