Sara Duterte to skip Marcos’ Sona: ‘I’m the designated survivor’

Estimated read time 2 min read

Philippine Vice President Sara Duterte.

Philippine Vice President Sara Duterte said she will not attend the third State of the Nation Address (Sona) of President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr on July 22.

“No, I will not attend the Sona. I am appointing myself as the designated survivor,” Duterte told reporters during an interview on Thursday (July 11) on the sidelines of the Child and Adolescent Neurodevelopmental Center Inauguration in Davao City. This will be the first time that she will not show up at the president’s third Sona.

Calling herself a “designated survivor”, Duterte referred to a US government practice of having official who is instructed to be absent from a gathering attended by the president to ensure that in case of an attack killing the president, can serve as acting president.

Duterte did not give any reason for her plan to skip Marcos’ upcoming Sona. Last month, the Vice President resigned as Department of Education chief and also as vice chairman of the National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict. The resignation was seen as the latest sign of the crumbling of the Marcos-Duterte alliance. ICA/Expat Media

ALSO READ: Rodrigo Duterte, sons to run for Senate


For all the latest news from the UAE and the world, follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube page

You May Also Like

More Stories

+ There are no comments

Add yours