Image

Villanueva family of 5.

PHOTO BY PKB NEWS


Overcharged e-bike ignites fire, kills family of 5

An overcharged electric bike caused the fire that killed a family of five in Pozorrubio, Pangasinan, according to the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) Pozorrubio’s investigation. Corpses were discovered hugging each other.

In an interview, Fire Officer 3 Christian Verosil said the victim’s e-bike was on the ground floor and had been plugged in all night.

“(Their) electronic bike does not have an automatic switch mechanism that would stop once the charging was completed,” he said.

The wiring in their house caught fire after the overcharged bike, eventually reaching the attic where the victims were resting. The only opening was a small window and the attic door, and since the attic was made of wood, the fire quickly spread throughout it.

“There are 10 persons in the house. The deceased father (Mark Villanueva) saved the other five members of their household, including the elderly and those who were on the ground floor, but when he returned to try to save his wife (Dexie) and three children aged six, two, and one, they were trapped and were unable to get out,” said Verosil.

Verosil said that although there were no victims or injuries, two nearby houses were also damaged. He stated that the total cost of the damage was Php9 million (Dh606,239).

Verosil urged people to unplug appliances when not in use to prevent such accidents. KD/Expat Media


For all the latest news from the UAE and the world, follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube page

Share


ADVERTISE HERE Find or post new jobs, motor ads and classifieds

Explore Expat Media