Legally speaking: Settling UAE labour disputes without court hearing

Estimated read time 2 min read

Claiming gratuity without going to court in UAE

Dubai-based lawyer Barney Almazar answers the most common questions regarding your legal options in various cases related to living and working in the UAE.

A reader asks: Is it true that there is no need to go to court when filing a case against my employer for the payment of my gratuity?

Atty. Barney says: Since January 1, 2024, if your claim is less than Dh50,000, the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MOHRE) can issue an order which will be executory without the need of an endorsement to the court.

Under the UAE law, MOHRE can issue a decision for claims within the Dh50,000 threshold. For disputes exceeding Dh50,000, MOHRE can refer cases to the relevant court for a resolution in case an amicable settlement is not reached.

How to file a labour dispute case

Call the Labor Claims and Advisory Center on 0097146659999, or file a case via MOHRE app (choose Menu, Services, and Complaint), or through the MOHRE website

ALSO READ: How to calculate gratuity in UAE

This column also appears in the Expat Media Special Edition magazine. Do you have a question for Attorney Barney? Contact him at or know more about him here. Barney Almazar is a director at Gulf Law in the UAE, Philippines, UK and Portugal. He is a member of the Philippine Bar and holds a UAE legal consultancy license. He is listed by Thomsom Reuters as one of the Super 50 lawyers in the Middle East and North Africa. Asian Legal Business has ranked him as top lawyer in the Philippines, Southeast Asia and Middle East.

For all the latest news from the UAE and the world, follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube page

You May Also Like

More Stories

+ There are no comments

Add yours