The family from Dubai were found dead in their hotel room in Nepal on Tuesday.
PHOTO BY SUPPLIED
DUBAI – An Indian family from Dubai were among a group of eight tourists found dead in their hotel room in Nepal, police confirmed on Wednesday (January 22).
Police suspect that the family died of carbon monoxide poisoning after using the gas heater in their hotel room in Daman, south of Kathmandu on Tuesday.
Police identified the family of five from Dubai as Praveen Krishnan Nair, Saranya Sasi, Abhinav Saranya Nair, Sreebhadra Praveen and Aarcha Praveen.
Three other victims were identified as Ranjith Kumar Adatholath Punathil, Indu Lakshmi Peethambaran Ragalatha and Vyshnav Ranjith.
Police said the group shared one room because the resort was fully booked. They were part of a group of 15 Indian tourists to Nepal.
Police officer Hobindra Bogati said the eight tourists were found unresponsive in their hotel room and were flown on rescue helicopters to a Kathmandu hospital where they were declared dead on arrival.
“They had lit a gas heater to keep the room warm and probably suffocated,” Bogati told Reuters.
The incident sparked renewed warning from police in the UAE about the dangers of using charcoal heaters indoors. In Dubai on Tuesday, two housemaids died from suffocation of carbon monoxide in their employer’s villa, police said. ICA/Expat Media
Pakistan PIA plane crash: Last moments on audio, miracle survivors and what we know so far
Indian teacher dies of Covid-19 in Abu Dhabi
Indian nurse praised by Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed reveals abandoned Europe dream
Hail in Sharjah, rain in UAE, more rainfall forecast until Tuesday
Dubai OFW urges DOLE’s Bello to simplify requirements for $200 cash assistance
6 winners share Dh1 million in Emirates Loto, no winner yet for Dh50 million jackpot
New rules to reopen Abu Dhabi hotels and their restaurants, bars, beaches, pools, gyms
Coronavirus in UAE: 812 new cases, 697 recoveries on May 23
Eid timings for Dubai Metro, bus, tram and public transport
Covid-19 vaccine tested for first time in humans appears safe: report
Man trapped in burning Fujairah villa rescued