Cancel UAE residence visa if leaving country for good

Estimated read time 2 min read

Picture for illustrative purposes only.

If you are leaving the UAE permanently, then you need to cancel your residence visa to avoid fines, according to the UAE Digital Government.

Residence visas sponsored by a family member or an employer must be cancelled officially if the visa holder decides to leave the UAE permanently. The sponsor must cancel the residence visa.

Employers wanting to cancel their employee’s visa must go to the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MOHRE) with an application to cancel the employee’s labour contract and labour card. The employee must also sign the application form. 

Then the employer must apply for the employee’s visa cancellation at the Federal Authority for Identity, Citizenship, Customs & Ports Security (ICP). 

The employer must then cancel the employee’s work permit. To do this, the employer must submit to MOHRE a letter signed by the employee stating that he or she has already received full wages and end of service benefits.

Expats who want to cancel their visa can go to a registered typing centre who will submit the visa cancellation form on their behalf to the ICP. They can also submit an application to cancel their visa through the ICP website or the ICP application Google Play or App Store UAEICP.

For expats sponsoring their spouse, children or other dependents, the dependents’ visas must first be cancelled before they can cancel their own visa. 

Not cancelling a residence visa may be viewed as overstaying your visa, which will incur a fine of Dh50 per day. ICA/Expat Media

For all the latest news from the UAE and the world, follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube page

You May Also Like

More Stories

+ There are no comments

Add yours