Typhoon Ompong left debris and felled trees and electric poles in parts of the Philippines.
PHOTO BY SUPPLIED
MANILA – The death toll from Typhoon Ompong (Mangkhut) climbed to 65 on Monday, with 43 people missing and 64 others wounded, according to the Philippine National Police.
CAR – 54
Cagayan Valley – 7
Central Luzon – 2
Ilocos Region – 1
Metro Manila – 1
The Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council on Sunday announced that Bataan was somewhat spared from the wrath of Typhoon Ompong with no deaths recorded.
At least 4,022 families or 15,205 persons, who sought shelter in various government evacuation centers, were allowed to return home on Sunday as the weather normalizes in Bicol, the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) here said on Monday.
Typhoon Ompong has affected a total of 147,540 families or 591,762 people in 31 provinces, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said on Monday.
Some 50,686 families or 192,842 people are now being aided in 1,899 evacuation centers while another 6,510 families or 26,666 individuals are being aided outside of evacuation centers.
MANILA — Typhoon Ompong (Mangkut) lashed Hong Kong and southern China on Sunday as it left at least 25 people dead in the Philippines, officials said.
Presidential Political Affairs Adviser Francis Tolentino said that many of the casualties were killed by landslides brought by heavy rain.
Among the dead were a family in Nueva Vizcaya buried by a a landslide, Tolentino added.
In the Cordillera Administrative Region, at least 20 people were killed, according to the Philippine National Police.
The death toll included six people killed in Baguio, seven from Benguet, six from Mountain Province and one from Kalinga.
Baguio City Mayor Mauricio Domogan, in an interview with DZMM, said that the death toll may rise as rescue and recovery operations continue.
Five people were reported missing in Benguet, and another eight in Baguio.
The typhoon affected at least 250,000 people and displaced 34,169 families, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).
The council said that P9.04 million worth of financial aid has been extended to affected regions as of Sunday.
MANILA – Authorities have recovered the bodies of two women killed on Saturday in a landslide set off by Super Typhoon Ompong (Mangkhut), Philippine police said.
Baguio City police said the women were killed after a hillside collapsed due to heavy rain.
In the Cordillera Administrative Region, two emergency responders were confirmed dead due to the destruction brought about by Typhoon Ompong.
National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) executive director Ricardo Jalad made the confirmation of the two fatalities during Saturday’s press briefing in Camp Aguinaldo, Quezon City. No other details were immediately available on the deaths of the responders.
Jalad said that military units were able to rescue a girl in Baggao town in Cagayan. Jalad said in CAR alone, there were 51 typhoon-related incidents reported, of which 42 were landslides.
Department of National Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said that in Cagayan, the typhoon destroyed three big power towers along with an estimated 1,000 houses.
Lorenzana said that eight barangays were also reportedly isolated with no means of communication. Severe damage were reported in property and agriculture.
Ompong hit the northern part of Luzon island on Saturday, felling tress, ripping off roofs and knocking out power. At least 10 million people were in the storm’s path, authorities said.
The super typhoon made landfall in Cagayan on Saturday afternoon, affecting 126,751 Filipinos so far. The storm is now heading towards Hong Kong and southern China.
“We believe there has been a lot of damage,” said Social Welfare Secretary Virginia Orogo as thousands of evacuees took refuge in emergency shelters.
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte is eyeing a trip to affected areas, said Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque on Saturday.
In Zambales, one of the areas battered by Ompong, some 1,605 families, or a total of 5,520 individuals, were evacuated from nine towns.
MANILA – Twelve areas were put under signal number 3 on Friday as the most powerful typhoon of the season headed towards the northern Philippines, with 10 million people in the storm’s path, authorities said.
On Friday, authorities raised Signal No. 3 in 12 areas as Typhoon Ompong (Mangkhut) drew closer to the Cagayan-Isabela area. The typhoon is expected to make landfall in the northenr Cagayan province on Saturday.
MANILA – Officials have ordered precautionary evacuations and closures of schools and offices ahead of Typhoon Ompong (local code name) or Super Typhoon Mangkhut’s landfall in northern Cagayan province.
“The pre-emptive evacuation is going on in our coastal municipalities, the villages that are prone to storm surge,” said local government spokesman Rogelio Sending. “We are going to evacuate more.”
Cagayan Governor Manuel Mamba said villages in the typhoon’s projected path will begin evacuating residents on Thursday, with classes and offices being suspended.
Office of Civil Defense chief Ricardo Jalad said other northern provinces will also start evacuating residents on Thursday.
Officials meeting at the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council office in Quezon City on Thursday said that contingency measures are in place, including food supply to evacuees.
Mangkhut passed through Guam overnight on Wednesday, damaging roads and power lines with intense rain, winds and floods.
Philippine state forecaster Meno Mendoza said Mangkhut could bring heavy rain that could trigger landslides and flash floods.
In 2013, Super Typhoon Haiyan, locally known as Yolanda, left more than 7,000 people dead or missing in central Philippines and displaced more than five million people. GAD/Expat Media
OFW the Movie screening in UAE postponed
Motorcycle crashes into bus in Sharjah, 2 killed
Man jailed for raping Filipina in Dubai villa
More than 2,400 Mazda vehicles recalled in UAE
Manny Pacquiao now ‘greatest 40-year-old boxer’, says mayor