Image

A view of the Kuwait skyline.

PHOTO BY ARCHIVE


Philippines ‘outraged’ by rape of Filipina in Kuwait

 

MANILA – The Philippine government on Thursday (June 13) condemned the rape of a Filipina worker in Kuwait by a Kuwaiti police officer.

The government is “outraged” by the incident, according to Presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo.
He said that the Philippines is extending assistance to the Filipina household worker, and that Labour Secretary Silvestre Bello is following up the case against the suspect.

The suspect has been identified as 22-year-old Fayed Naser Hamad Alajmy, who reportedly kidnapped the victim before raping her.

Kuwaiti authorities have issued an arrest warrant against Alajmy, and Philippine embassy officials in Kuwait said they are coordinating with local officials for his arrest.

Eye on re-imposing ban

Panelo said that the Philippines is looking to re-impose a ban on the deployment of household service workers to Kuwait, adding that there has been a “breach” in the bilateral agreement on the protection of Filipino workers in Kuwait.

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte had imposed a total deployment ban on new workers in Kuwait last year after the body of Joanna Demafelis, 29, was found stuffed in a freezer in an abandoned apartment in Kuwait.

A Lebanese man and his Syrian wife were given the death sentence over the brutal murder of the Filipina housemaid. ICA/Expat Media

Share


ADVERTISE HERE Find or post new jobs, motor ads and classifieds

Explore Expat Media