Picture for illustration purposes only.
PHOTO BY ARCHIVE
PARIS – A doctor raised alarm after two women were poisoned and most of their hair fell off her scalp for eating a meal with a common ingredient: bitter-tasting pumpkin.
French dermatologist Philippe Assouly warned that bitter tasting pumpkins or squashes can contain potent toxins that cause hair loss.
In a scientific journal, Assouly described two unusual cases, highlighting a previously unknown “toxic association of alopecia (hair loss) with a common plant”.
The plant family in question are cucurbits, and include squashes, gourds and pumpkins.
In the first case, a woman in France suffered nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea after eating bitter-tasting pumpkin soup. She experienced the symptoms for about a day, and a week later started losing hair from her scalp and pubis.
“The meal had been shared with her family, who had eaten less of the soup than she had, and they experienced symptoms of food poisoning but no hair loss,” Assouly wrote in the Journal of the American Medical Association Dermatology.
A second woman had severe vomiting after a meal that included squash. Three weeks later, her hair started falling off.
Cucurbits can contain cucurbitacin, a toxic compound that gives off a bitter taste.
“Bitterness in a squash should serve as a warning,” Assouly said. “One should not force a child to finish it.” GAD/Expat Media
Filipino killed in Georgia paragliding accident, criminal case filed
Air France plane that disappeared from radar makes emergency landing in Iran, heads to Dubai
Free WiFi on new Dubai public buses
Filipino barbecue chicken arrives in Chicking Dubai menu
OFW the Movie screening in UAE postponed
Motorcycle crashes into bus in Sharjah, 2 killed
Man jailed for raping Filipina in Dubai villa
More than 2,400 Mazda vehicles recalled in UAE
Manny Pacquiao now ‘greatest 40-year-old boxer’, says mayor
9 stranded in UAE over fake job offer on WhatsApp
Dubai hiker killed in Oman wadi dive
Why Dubai Marina is ultimate destination in Dubai