Image

The UAE has confirmed 11 cases of the new coronavirus.

PHOTO BY ARCHIVE


Another Filipino coronavirus case in UAE: 2 new cases confirmed

 

DUBAI – A Filipino who came in contact with a Chinese patient in the UAE has been infected with the new coronavirus, bringing the total number of COVID19 cases in the UAE to 11, health authorities and the Philippine Embassy in the UAE confirmed.

The Filipino, 34, and a Bangladeshi, 39, were the two latest cases of the new coronavirus in the emirates.

The Ministry of Health and Prevention on Friday (February 21) said that the pair got infected with coronavirus after coming in contact with a Chinese patient.

The ministry said that the two expatriates are in “stable condition”.

The 34-year-old expat is the second Filipino to test positive for coronavirus in the UAE, after authorities first announced on February 8 that a Filipino had contracted the illness along with a Chinese citizen.

Philippine Embassy springs to action

Meanwhile, the Philippine Embassy in the UAE, in an advisory on Saturday (February 22), said it will “fully coordinate with UAE authorities on the new case of a Filipino with COVID19”.

The embassy also said it continues to “closely coordinate with UAE authorities” and monitor the first case of a 43-year-old Filipino being treated for the new coronavirus in the UAE.

“According to doctors, the patient does not have history of heart or lung disease but contracted COVID19, therefore highlighting the unpredictable nature of the virus. This highlights the need to observe proper hygiene protocols such as frequent hand washing to prevent spread of the disease,” the embassy said in a statement.

No improvement in condition of first Filipino patient

The embassy also said that although the first Filipino who contracted the virus has been getting maximum hospital support, the latest update from doctors indicate that “the patient’s condition is not improving and can be said to be turning for the worse”.

A sister from abroad has visited the patient, the embassy quoted doctors as saying.

3 out 11 infected now fully recovered

So far, three of 11 people who tested positive for the virus in the UAE have made a full recovery.

A 73-year-old Chinese woman, Liu Yujia, was the first to make a full recovery, followed by a 41-year-old man and his eight-year-old son. Yujia was discharged from hospital on February 9.

The grandmother arrived in the UAE from Wuhan on January 16 with three other family members—a father, mother and their child. The family tested positive for the virus a week into their trip to the emirate.

Five more people tested positive for coronavirus in the UAE, including three Chinese nationals, a Filipino and an Indian who became ill after “interacting with a recently diagnosed person”.

The new coronavirus has infected more than 75,000 people in China alone, with more than 1,100 cases around the world. The virus has killed 2,236 people in China. ICA/Expat Media


For all the latest news from the UAE and the world, follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube page

Share


ADVERTISE HERE Find or post new jobs, motor ads and classifieds

Explore Expat Media