Picture for illustration purposes only.
PHOTO BY ARCHIVE
PARIS – A doctor raised alarm after two women were poisoned and most of their hair fell off her scalp for eating a meal with a common ingredient: bitter-tasting pumpkin.
French dermatologist Philippe Assouly warned that bitter tasting pumpkins or squashes can contain potent toxins that cause hair loss.
In a scientific journal, Assouly described two unusual cases, highlighting a previously unknown “toxic association of alopecia (hair loss) with a common plant”.
The plant family in question are cucurbits, and include squashes, gourds and pumpkins.
In the first case, a woman in France suffered nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea after eating bitter-tasting pumpkin soup. She experienced the symptoms for about a day, and a week later started losing hair from her scalp and pubis.
“The meal had been shared with her family, who had eaten less of the soup than she had, and they experienced symptoms of food poisoning but no hair loss,” Assouly wrote in the Journal of the American Medical Association Dermatology.
A second woman had severe vomiting after a meal that included squash. Three weeks later, her hair started falling off.
Cucurbits can contain cucurbitacin, a toxic compound that gives off a bitter taste.
“Bitterness in a squash should serve as a warning,” Assouly said. “One should not force a child to finish it.” GAD/Expat Media
Royal wedding: Guide to Prince Harry’s and Meghan Markle’s big event
Worker rescued from sewage pit in Abu Dhabi
Ready for Morissette in Dubai?
2 things that can kill you in Sharjah
Nick Jonas, Priyanka Chopra now Instagram official
4 jailed, fined Dh100,000 for forcing maid into prostitution in Dubai
7 arrested over Dh3.2 million in fake printer inks in Dubai
Philippine Independence Day in Dubai snapshots
Up to eight feet waves in UAE, weather bureau warns
Park on this UAE beach and pay Dh1,000 fine
Indian teacher’s ‘dream job offer’ in Dubai turns out fake