Picture for illustration purposes only.
PHOTO BY ARCHIVE
DUBAI – The National Media Council (NMC) has released new rules for content posted on social media, particularly any sponsored content by social media influencers.
Violators will be subject to an initial fine of Dh5,000 that must be paid within five days, otherwise a fine of Dh100 per day will be imposed up to a maximum charge of Dh5,000.
Repeat offenders will be fined Dh10,000, up to a cap of Dh20,000.
The 19 new rules cover content standards and bans the promotion of smoking and alcohol, among others. It also prohibits content that offends religious beliefs and the UAE government.
Rumours, misleading news, immoral words or photos, and advertisements for “witchcraft, sorcery and astrology” must also be avoided.
Under the new regulations, advertisements should be clearly labelled as “advertisement material”, with hashtags like #advertisement or #paid_ad.
Advertisements for charities and voluntary activities are exempt from licensing. Influencers, however, are required to have a licence from the NMC to post any paid content.
A dedicated team for the NMC are regularly monitoring influencers’ social media accounts for any breach of the new rules.
1. Refrain from offending God and Islamic beliefs, and show respect for other heavenly religions
2. Show respect for the UAE Government and its emblems and political institutions
3. Show respect for the cultural heritage of the UAE
4. Avoid harming national unity and social cohesion, and provoking sectarian, doctrinal and trial strife
5. Show respect for the UAE’s systems and policies at the internal level and its relations with other countries
6. Refrain from harming the economic system in the UAE and spreading rumours and misleading news
7. Show respect for the UAE’s policies to promote its national identity
8. Avoid disseminating information that harms or abuses children and women, or any other social groups, or incites hatred and violence
9. Avoid publishing images or words that could violate public morality
10. Any advertising for witchcraft, sorcery or astrology shall not be allowed
11. Respect intellectual property rights
12. Comply with codes of conduct and standards of honesty, including compliance with the rules governing business, especially in regards to consumer protection and fair competition controls, prohibition of commercial fraud and illegal monopoly
13. Advertising for alcoholic beverages or narcotics is not permitted in any form, whether directly or indirectly
14. Tobacco advertising, smoking of all kinds and methods of using them, or any other services or products that are prohibited from advertising, shall not be permitted
15. Comply with the rules of health advertisements contained in Cabinet Resolution No. 4 of 2007 and its amendments on health advertisements
16. Avoid publishing advertisements that contain false, malicious, and misleading information
17. Respect the national identity of the UAE
18. Observe the conditions and terms concerning the use of the flag, emblem and national anthem of the UAE
19. Obtain the prior approval of the concerned authorities for advertisements requiring prior approvals, such as those related to health, education, real estate, Haj and Umrah campaigns and others
Watch: Hail, thunderstorm hit Fujairah, parts of UAE
Man dies inside restroom of Manila airport
7 big projects that will change Fujairah
Sheikh Mohammed shares poem, advice for 3 sons
Dubai coma case: Sheikh Mohammed to pay for woman’s treatment